Aviation Cocktail Recipe
Mixology Bartender Kit with Stand
Silver Bar Set Cocktail Shaker Set for Drink Mixing. Bar Tools include a Martini Shaker, Jigger, Strainer, Bar Mixer Spoon, Tongs, and Opener.
- Cocktail Shaker
- Coupe Cocktail Glass
- 2oz Gin
- 2/3oz Maraschino liqueur
- 1/3oz Creme de Violette
- 1/2oz Lemon Juice
- Garnish: Cherry (Marachino or Brandied)
How to Make the Cocktail
- Add the 2oz of Gin, 2/3oz of Marachino liqueur, 1/3oz of Creme de Violette, and 1/2oz of Lemon Juice to a cocktail shaker.
- Shake for 10-15 seconds
- Strain the mix into your Couple or Martini glass
- Garnish the Aviation cocktail
Alterations, Substitutions & Variations
- You can substitute the Maraschino liqueur for Jasmine liqueur (not our favorite, but still)
- You can modify the Lemon juice to taste, from 1/3oz to 2/3oz. Don't exceed 1oz.
- You can sub out the Lemon Juice for Lime Juice if you want to take a different angle
- You can substitute Jenever for Gin
- You can add some Rosemary Simple Syrup (if you've made some)
Glass To Use
- Martini Glass
Alternative & Similar Cocktails
Does an Aviation Cocktail Require Aviation Gin?
No, the Aviation Cocktail does not require Aviation brand Gin to be used in the cocktail recipe. That said, Ryan Reynolds would probably prefer that you did use Aviation Gin to make the mixed drink.
What is the Aviation cocktail and The Blacklist?
The Blacklist is a television series. Apparently the 145th Episode: The Freelancer, made reference to the cocktail. According to IMDB Trivia, it [Aviation], is,
"The drink that Red orders for Agent Keen is a classic cocktail called an Aviation. First published in 1916, it was meant to symbolize the wonder of the quickly expanding field of aviation. The Aviation is made with top-shelf gin, Maraschino liqueur, Crème de Violette and fresh lemon juice. Normally the drink would appear a much lighter blue, reminiscent of the sky, hence the name."
Be Excellent. Join Us.
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter for craft beer and drink tips.